TRANSIT WIRELESS Wi-Fi TERMS & CONDITIONS
Wi-Fi Terms of Service
TERMS REGARDING ACCEPTABLE USE, SECURITY AND RISKS OF USE
READ CAREFULLY. THESE TERMS OF SERVICE IMPOSE OBLIGATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS UPON YOU.
You agree to indemnify and hold Transit Wireless, its affiliates, agents and suppliers harmless from all liabilities and expenses related to any violation of these Terms of Service by you or any user of your device, or in connection with your or their use of the Service. While using the Service, you may not post, transmit or otherwise distribute information constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability, or otherwise use the Service in a manner which is contrary to law or to Transit Wireless’s then-current policies or would serve to restrict or inhibit any other user from using or enjoying the Service or the Internet. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree not to use the Service for any commercial purpose not otherwise permitted by these Terms of Service.
Acceptable Use Policy
You are responsible for your use of the Services. You shall not use or allow others to use the Service if such use:
- is for, or results in, any illegal, abusive, annoying or offensive activities, including making available offensive content, the commission or encouragement of a criminal offence, stalking, harassment, spamming, disrupting or interfering with the Internet, any network, computers, or other devices, transmission of a virus or other harmful component, defamation, intellectual property infringement, or interference with other clients’ service.
- consumes excessive network capacity in Transit Wireless’s reasonable opinion, or causes its network, or its ability to provide services to others, to be adversely affected.
- is for music and video streaming, continuous data transmission or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine to machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, or any other application that is not made available to you by Transit Wireless which uses excessive network capacity.
- is to provide a substitute or back-up for private lines or dedicated data connections such as DSL.
- is to operate any server system (including email, web, or other kind of server).
You shall not threaten abuse or harass any Transit Wireless employee or representative. You shall not (a) commit, attempt to commit, or allow others to commit or attempt to commit, any fraud against Transit Wireless including fraudulently obtaining Services, or (b) transform outbound communications into incoming communications or otherwise attempt to avoid applicable charges, or (c) otherwise abuse the Service or allow others to do any of the foregoing. You shall not resell, transfer, distribute, share or exploit for commercial purposes any Service. You must follow all other service and security regulations issued or adopted by Transit Wireless. Transit Wireless reserves the right to limit or lockout your use should such use be in contravention of these Terms of Service. In addition, Transit Wireless, and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority each reserve the right to limit or restrict your usage or the speeds at which you receive the Service at their discretion.
The Service is only available where Hotspot facilities exist. Transit Wireless assumes no liability whatsoever for any claims, damages, losses or expenses arising out of or otherwise relating to the unavailability of the Service in your geographical area, in particular due to changes in the location and configuration of Hotspots.
Transit Wireless does not guarantee the performance of the Service. You understand that any content that you may access through the Service may be subject to network management in order to ensure that all users of the Services receive reasonable access to the Services.
Transit Wireless will not be responsible for any corrupted files or viruses which affect the user of the Service. It is your responsibility to safeguard your system, through appropriate means (e.g. using commercially available software), from theft, unauthorized use or system corruption. Any detriment caused to the network as a result of your failure to properly secure your system may result in the immediate termination of your access to the Service. Transit Wireless does not ensure or guarantee privacy for users of the Service. Any such use shall be at your sole risk and Transit Wireless, its affiliates and its agents shall be relieved from all liability in connection therewith. Hotspots represent additional security risks as compared with wired Internet connection because access to your compatible device is possible without being physically connected to your device, therefore, it is strongly recommended that you (and it is your responsibility to) ensure that the configuration of your device is secure. In order to work with the widest variety of devices, you acknowledge that the Hotspots do not provide any level of encryption (such as WEP, WPA or other encryption and authentication mechanisms).
Service Bandwidth Resale or Redistribution Prohibited
Resale or redistribution of bandwidth or any other part of the Service for any purpose is strictly forbidden. Failure to comply with this condition will result in immediate cancellation of access to the Services.
IP Address / Host Name
Any IP address assigned to you by Transit Wireless is the property of Transit Wireless at all times. IP addresses may change each time you access a Hotspot, or any time at the discretion of Transit Wireless without prior notice to you. Transit Wireless assumes no liability whatsoever for any claims, damages, losses or expenses arising out of or otherwise relating to any change in IP Addressing.
Your messages may be the subject of unauthorized third-party interception and review. An individual with Internet access can cause damage, incur expenses and enter into contractual obligations while on the Internet. All such matters are your responsibility. Transit Wireless has no obligation to monitor the Service. However, you agree that Transit Wireless reserves the right to monitor the Service electronically from time to time and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy any laws, regulations or other governmental request or as necessary to operate the Service or to protect itself or others.
No Liability for Content
Be aware that some content, products or services (“Content”) available with or through the Service may be offensive to you or may not comply with applicable laws where you access the Services. You understand that neither Transit Wireless nor any of its affiliates attempt to censor or monitor any such Content. You assume total responsibility and risk for access to or use of such Content and for use of the Internet. Transit Wireless and its affiliates assume no liability whatsoever for any claims or losses arising out of or otherwise relating to access to or use of such Content.
The Service is provided by Transit Wireless on an “as is” and “as available” basis without warranties or conditions of any kind. You are responsible for the use and compatibility of the Service with any equipment, software, services and/or other materials not provided by Transit Wireless (“Third Party Equipment and Services”). Transit Wireless disclaims all responsibility for determining compatibility between the Service and any Third Party Provided Equipment and Services. Neither Transit Wireless, its affiliates, agents and/or suppliers warrant the performance, availability, uninterrupted use or operation of the Service or any deliverable provided under these Terms of Service. The entire risk as to the availability, quality and performance of the Service or any deliverable provided under these Terms of Service is exclusively yours. YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH REGARD TO THE SERVICE, HARDWARE, SOFTWARE OR ANY OTHER DELIVERABLES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, OR ANY MERCHANDISE, INFORMATION, CONTENT OR SERVICE PROVIDED ON THE INTERNET AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED ARE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, HEREBY EXCLUDED.
Limitation of Liability
In the event of any breach by Transit Wireless, its affiliates, suppliers, or agents, including any breach of a fundamental term from these Terms of Service or any negligence, your exclusive remedy shall be to terminate your access to the Services. Other than the foregoing remedy, under no circumstances shall Transit Wireless, its affiliates or its agents be liable to you or any third party for: (i) any direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages, including, without limitation, loss of profits and loss of business opportunities that result in any way from these Terms of Service, including your use of the Service or access to the Internet, Content, or any part thereof, or your reliance on or use of information, services or merchandise provided on or through the Service, or that result from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion or corruption of data, information or files, errors, defects, delays in preparations, or transmission, or failure of performance, or (ii) any losses or expenses (including legal fees) arising out of, or in connection with any allegation, claim, suit or other proceeding based upon a contention that the use of the Service by you or a third party through your account infringes the intellectual property rights or contractual rights of any third party.
These Terms of Service may be terminated by you by ceasing to utilize the Services. Transit Wireless may suspend or restrict the Service, at any time without notice, or terminate these Terms of Service, including your right to access or use the Service, at any time if: (i) the operation or efficiency of the Service is impaired by your use of the Service; or (ii) you have breached any term or condition of these Terms of Service. Transit Wireless shall have no responsibility to notify any third party providers of services, merchandise or information of such termination or suspension. Any termination of your right to use and/or access the Services and/or these Terms of Service shall not relieve you from any liability accruing hereunder prior to the time that such termination becomes effective.
Third Party Beneficiary
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is a third party beneficiary of these Terms of Service and as such is entitled to its protections and may enforce the rights afforded by these Terms of Service.
These Terms of Service and all documents and policies referenced herein, constitute the entire agreement and understanding between Transit Wireless and you pertaining to the subject matter hereof, and shall supersede and replace all prior agreements, understandings and representations, written or oral, regarding such subject matter. Failure by Transit Wireless to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Terms of Service shall not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right. If any of the provisions contained in these Terms of Service are determined to be void, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, such determination shall not affect the remaining provisions contained herein. Where any provision of these Terms of Service conflicts with an applicable tariff, the tariff shall supersede these Terms of Service only in respect of the conflicting provision. These Terms of Service shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New York and the federal laws of the United States of America applicable therein. Transit Wireless may assign its rights and obligations under these Terms of Service to any affiliated entity without your prior written consent. You may not assign or transfer these Terms of Service. In no event shall Transit Wireless be liable for any failure to comply with these Terms of Service if such failure results from any condition or event beyond the reasonable control of Transit Wireless, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, earthquake, any elements of nature or acts of God, theft, riot, strike or other labor disturbance, power failure or war.
Information Regarding Transit Wireless’s In-Station Wi-Fi Broadband Service
While the mobile broadband you receive while riding on the transit system generally comes from your wireless broadband provider, Transit Wireless offers free Wi-Fi broadband service. This page provides basic information regarding this Wi-Fi service (Service).
- Basic Terms of Service and Performance Characteristics.
- Transit Wireless provides the Service free of charge to the user.
- The Service utilizes Wi-Fi technology.
- Broadband bandwidths made available to a user via the Service typically will range between 10 Mbps and 75 Mbps. These bandwidths are generally sufficient to allow users to utilize the most commonly accessed internet content and services. As noted below, Transit Wireless may from time to time employ network management tools that would have the effect of temporarily limiting or foreclosing access to such content and services.
- Transit Wireless places no limit on the amount of data a user may send or receive in a given period of time, but reserves the right to terminate a user’s access in the event the user, in Transit Wireless’s reasonable opinion, consumes excessive network capacity or otherwise violates Transit Wireless’s Acceptable Use Policy, as set out in our Terms and Conditions. Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, the following: use for illegal, abusive, annoying or offensive activities; multi-media streaming; continuous data transmission or broadcasts; automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; voice over Internet protocol; use that serves as a backup for a dedicated data connection or is employed to operate a server system; and use to access any other application that is not made available by Transit Wireless which consumes excessive network capacity.
- Transit does not ensure or guarantee privacy for users of the Service.
- Transit Wireless may suspend or restrict the Service at any time without notice, including but not limited to instances in which a user has violated Transit Wireless’s Acceptable Use Policy, as set out in our Terms and Conditions.
- In addition to bandwidth, a broadband user’s experience is affected by the degree of latency in the network, where “latency” refers to the amount of time it takes for information to travel from its source to its destination. Wi-Fi networks such as those utilized by the Service typically experience latency between 1 millisecond and 3 milliseconds, which is in addition to the end-to-end latency from the User’s device to their intended destination. Users’ experiences should not be affected by these latency levels. During periods of high network usage, the Service’s latency may increase, possibly reaching the point at which a user would notice the delay.
Network Management Practices.
- Transit Wireless may employ various forms of network management with respect to the Service, including (without limitation) blocking, throttling, and network congestion management, to ensure that all users of the Service receive reasonable access to the Service and to address operational matters. These network management activities could have the effect of preventing, or severely limiting, access to content or the use of mobile applications.
- Users are free to access the Service using any lawful handset, laptop, tablet, or other device capable of communicating via Wi-Fi.
- Transit Wireless does not utilize any level of encryption for communications sent and received using the Service. Users should note that Wi-Fi offerings such as the Service often present security risks greater than those associated with a wired internet connection.
Any complaints or questions regarding the Service should be directed to Transit Wireless Operations NOC (email@example.com/ 888-246-4991.